Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Marvelous Work and a Wonder

When I was a missionary in South Africa, the president of our mission had us memorize a few scripture verses to remind us of our purpose as missionaries.

One of them was 3 Nephi 5:13 -
Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people that they might have everlasting life.

I love that verse! I still repeat it to myself sometimes as a reminder of who I am.
Another passage we recited was the entire fourth section of the Doctrine and Covenants:
Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men. Therefore, oh ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength that ye may be found blameless before God at the last day. Wherefore, if ye have desires to serve God, ye are called to the work. For behold the field is white already to harvest. And lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he parisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul. And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work. Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility diligence. Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.
Now, I typed that for memory, so the punctuation is probably all wrong, but that’s ok.
There are several valuable things in this section that influenced me on my mission: I love the grain metaphor. The list of Christ-like attributes often was the basis of my goals. And the commission, “see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength,” encouraged me on, even when I was tired, hungry and disappointed.
What I want to write about today is the first sentence - this marvelous work and a wonder. There have been entire books written on this one phrase (which I have not yet read). Originally it was probably referring to the publication of the Book of Mormon. When Joseph Smith received this revelation, he was in the process of translating the Book of Mormon from an ancient language into English.
People have been pleading for guidance from God for millennia. God freely answered these prayers by sending prophets. These men and women spoke to God and delivered His word to the people. Even after Christ, there were men on the earth who had the authority to speak for God. So why then is the coming of more holy scripture so marvelous and wonderful?
The Book of Mormon is especially great for a few reasons:
• A thousand years of prophetic writings were revealed all at once.
• It was translated once from the original autograph by the gift and power of God.
• It was the first universal direction from God since the Apostles were killed in the first century.

I see - in part at least - why this publication was to be a marvelous work and a wonder. However, those reasons are not enough to motivate me to devote all my heart, might, mind and strength in servitude.
What I can say though, is that I have read the words in the Book of Mormon. I have thought about them a lot. I’ve even memorized some of them. I know that they speak the truth. Those Divine words have brought me to know my Saviour. I know that He lives. I know that He died for me. And that is certainly worth all of my might, mind, and strength to do whatever He asks. Especially if it will bring those I love to have the same joy I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment